The Co-Op brand is another favourite in the UK. Their business extends from food stores, banking, legal services, electrical white goods through to funeral care. So how does The Co-Op Car Insurance stack up? They have two main varieties: Standard and SmartBox, which is aimed at younger drivers.
The Standard Cover
The basic policy has the following advantages as standard:
- Courtesy car included whilst yours is being repaired by an approved repairer
- Windscreen cover with no excess charge for repairable damage
- Keys covered if a theft has taken place, up to a maximum of £750
- Named Driver No Claim Discount (available to drivers 20 years of age and over; the minimum age from which a driver can start to earn a No Claim Discount is 19).
These extra options can be added to your policy:
- Breakdown Cover from £51.
- Enhanced Courtesy Car – A saloon or hatchback vehicle with an engine size similar to your own up to a maximum of 1,800cc (van drivers can get a van up to a maximum of 3.5tonne GVW). In addition, you and up to 2 named drivers on your policy can drive the vehicle.
- Legal Protection up to £100,000 for legal fees to help recover uninsured losses. Allows access to a 24 hour legal helpline which can provide advice on any motoring related issues such as disputes with garages, parking fines and vehicle ownership responsibilities
- Enhanced Foreign Travel – a similar level of car insurance cover for European trips, 365 days a year, with a single outing limit of 90 days. Great for those extended family or business trips.
Smartbox – Co-Op Car Insurance for Young Drivers
Smartbox is a Young Driver Insurance aimed at those over 17. It makes use of a tracker unit, which once installed, will monitor some data. The gathered info is updated every 90 days, and rewards good drivers with a lower premium. This is the what is tracked:
- your average speed on different types of roads
- how fast and hard you accelerate or brake
- what time of day you drive the car
- how fast you take corners.
Can I track my performance?
Your personalised online dashboard lets you track your performance for each of the four safe driving parameters at any time. You’ll also find tips to help you improve your driving and score.
The benefits of the Smartbox is that it makes insurance more cost effective for young drivers, plus helps them build up their no-claims discounts at the same time. This will ultimately reduce the monthly premium significantly.
The Co-Op Car Insurance Conclusion
The Co-Op is one of the UK’s top providers across a range of different industries. The brand has been built on providing good value for money, and that is extended to their car insurance products. Each plan starts out at a good basic level, and then the policy holder can choose to add the extras that suit their needs.
The Standard policy offers great value for those clients that are not after all of the extras that usually come with comprehensive car insurance.
The Co-Op is also able to offer some great value to younger drivers, where other insurers may be a little wary. This is achieved through their Smartbox technology, which is a superb option. It provides great cover, but also gives younger drivers the ability to build up their no-claims discounts.
Both are highly recommended.